Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hearing from God


That last post was just the beginning of what the Spirit has had to say to me lately. At least I already knew what part of the problem is: complaining. So God must have just been a-grinning away yesterday when I was *complaining* to Erik about church and going to a service where we don't know anyone and how I needed to study (to which my good husband pointed out that my priorities are a bit out of whack...I'll deal with that one, too)...because He knew we'd go, and that the sermon would be on.....you guessed it. Complaining. No kidding.


Philippians 2:14-16
14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16 as you hold out the word of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.

The part that really sucks about this is that people have noticed lately that I've been moody. That I've been letting things like bake sales get to me. Enough that one friend told me that he knew something was wrong, because of all people, I'm usually able to make his day better, and I wasn't smiling that morning. Granted, several people tell me things like that all the time and I think that God must be miraculously covering for me because I feel tired and beat down by dental school most of the time. They tell me I'm always happy... ha! Thank the Lord that the Spirit can shine in spite of me.... Anyway, in an attempt to APPLY the sermon, I intend to practice positive speaking in my blog as well as real life.

Another kick in the pants came from Dr. Cobb via his thoughtful emails...

"In the midst of battle and difficulty that we call LIFE, we make every attempt to carry on normally. We often feel that we can not eat spiritually regularly. When that happens, we do not look or feel well. Everyone notices..."

Everyone notices. A few of my craft blogging "friends" are in Canada and just celebrated Thanksgiving. They've been posting about gratefulness and God's goodness as they enjoy their holiday and now that we're certainly headed in that direction, I want to ask God to train my heart as it were and make it a season of gratitude - actively not complaining. I don't think God wants much to do with grumbling people. Too much maintenance. Too self-centered, and not trusting in him. Consider the Hebrew people in the desert. Yeesh. I gotta get out of my desert!

1 comment:

Chris and Jill said...

Abby, The Lord SO used this post to speak to my heart this morning. Thank you for sharing your heart. I don't think I could possibly count the ways you encouraged me and sharpened my faith throughout jr. high and high school... love ya, girl!

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...