Sunday, September 06, 2009

Hmmm...


I know it's been a while since an update on anything...crafty or dental. I'm just so busy all the time and absolutely exhausted when I get home that nothing gets done and I have no desire to even type about what I did. I blow it off as "nobody cares" - not in a depressive, unhopeful way - but it's just not anything that I'm that excited about, so why take the time to do it? Throw in studying for classes like pharmacology, and I'm done. There's nothing left. I have a finished quilt that I have yet to take a picture of and post about on my quilt blog. If you know me at all, that says a lot about how busy I am!

I love having patients! I love talking and getting to know them and developing relationships with them. I like fixing things for them. Filling a cavity, helping them make their smile pretty, or giving them a whole new smile and a way to eat. God has blessed me with amazing patients. I'm so thankful for that. A new Christian, a quilter and her husband, the sweetest old lady ever who's lived a trial-filled life and is still so joyful, an old friend, a young nanny, a really nice lady I met on the sidewalk outside the school, one of 3 sisters who have matching handbags and come to the school every Tuesday (so cute!), and a sweet old lady who just wants to be able to smile again.

I don't like the hoops, I don't' like the missed lunches, I don't like the rat race - I try to buck that all the time. Classmates will race through a diagnosis appointment and then race around all morning trying to finish all their consults. - in 2 hours or so. I don't want to push the limit and I sure don't want my patients to feel like I'm rushing through things and then dragging them around the school. I did that to one of my patients - once - and I'm so thankful he's still coming to see me. I felt horrible for doing that to him. That first appointment is when I start developing a relationship with them and I want them to know I'm listening, that I'm thorough, and that I have their best interests in mind. Not that I'm only interested in getting through the process as fast as possible. Even if that means they have to come back for an extra consults appointment. Maybe I'll regret this philosophy when I feel behind, but I doubt it. I'm aiming for patients that trust me, and will therefore come to their appointments on time and finish out their treatment. That's my goal.

I'm just plugging away. Working on the patients that I can, and trying to get everyone else to that point. If you have any interest in coming to see me, I'm game if you are! You won't be a "guinea pig" at this point - my firsts are all over - except the ever-elusive root canal that I have yet to see come my way...

No comments:

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...