Wednesday, September 30, 2009

An Update


This post is dedicated to Megan Miller: I know you're reading ; )

I've been in the pediatric clinic all week. My patients are patiently waiting for their next appointments while I'm placing sealants, twiddling my thumbs, holding hands, drying tears, and handing out Sponge Bob stickers to the kids at BCD.

What I've learned so far:

1) I find that I do really well when I'm the one in charge. Whether it's a kid or an adult, if I'm the one that greets the patient, takes the history, and initiates the relationship, I feel better about being the one providing treatment. If someone else does all that and then we do the ol' switcheroo, it's just not the same. There's just something about being idenitified as the "doc".

2) You should not schedule your patients to come back for treatment that has already been performed. That's how I lost the chance at some more sealants today. The sealants were already there. What can you do? Nothing. That's what.

3) 2.5 hours going over a case you've already studied makes for a long afternoon.

4) Don't tell a kid that you're going to give them a "mosquito bite". NOBODY likes mosquito bites. Kids aren't stupid. There's no way you're going to get them numb that way. Also, don't try to trick a kid. There's no regaining their trust.

5) Maybe it's not such a good idea to have an open pediatrics clinic. One crying kid 2 feet away from another crying kid makes for a lot of fun!

6) Kids on nitrous are hilarious! Couple that with a half-numb face and you've got some seriously funny antics.

7) Parents out there - be careful about how you talk to your kids about the dentist. Please. I know I'm the childless one saying this, but there's really a lot to be said about how kids are taught to be afraid of the dentist. I heard a parent today tell a kid that couldn't complete treatment even after getting an injection, "You'll just have to get another shot." Yeah, that kid's going to be a bundle of fun the next time he comes back.

Ok, enough of that. I really do like the kids. I absolutely will see kids in my office when I'm out. Absolutely. When I'm not pregnant the nitrous will flow! I'll be blowing bubbles, painting teeth, putting raincoats and rings in their mouths, and using that tooth tickler like there's no tomorrow. Sleepy juice, tooth pillows and super soakers will help get the job done, and my background in psychology will be implemented for both the freaked-out parents and the little ones.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

interesting post, Abby! I've never been afraid of the dentist so I would never teach my children that, but I do hear some people are terrified so I get your point. I liked reading this! :)

Abby said...

Other things I've learned this week:

1) sometimes dentists make kids afraid of the dentist.
2) sometimes kids are just plain afraid.
3) sometimes we don't realize that kids listen to everything you say...ev-ry-thing.

Megan said...

Abby,

I feel so honored to have a post dedicated to me! You speak the truth here, sister. I think you deserve an AMEN! I can't wait!

p.s. The pedodontist I worked with used to always tell kids he was going to make them a "milkshake" since he shakes their cheek while he injects and I am pretty sure there were some very disappointed milkshake-less kids. But hey, I guess it is a bit better than the mosquito bite... or maybe not. =/

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...