Thursday, February 19, 2009

All in White

On a positive note, we had our white coat ceremony last Friday. It's our "welcome" into the profession as we enter clinic - well, soon, at least. We said our dental version of the Hippocratic Oath, awkwardly had a coat put on us and then my family went to dinner. Big deal? I guess so. I'm sure one day I'll look back fondly. Ready to get this over with? Yes. Most definitely yes. 2.25 years-ish to go.

Right now, I'm pretty caught up with all my projects, so that feels good. I like fixed. I seem to be good at crown and bridge preps. I'm getting faster at operative. I've been paranoid because there are so many people faster than me. I talked to one in particular today, and found out that she's not using indirect vision (looking in her mouth mirror and working "backwards") so she'll get done faster. I try to use indirect vision as much as I can to save my back and get used to it because it's hard. So now I feel better. I'll get fast and I'll be doing it the right way. Endo? Well, for me, it's stressful, but it's not that bad. I kind of like doing root canals. It's methodical and so far, hard to screw it up. Pedo, let's just say it's nice to learn how to do practical things like ID caries on a radiograph or visual inspection (especially since we've already taken a class in radiology). Ortho is a bore, but I'm making an appliace that might be capable of fixing my central incisor that sticks out - if I make it right : )

Starting in the summer, if you want to come see me at the school, let me know! Even if it's just a cleaning. It's not free, but it's cheap ; )





3 comments:

Psalm112 said...

If you're doing it right, don't worry about how long it takes. Mom always says, "by the work, one knows the workman."

Will you or anyone else down there do an upper lingual bar? Harry Kizer put one in years ago for me and it's been wonderful b/c my teeth move so quickly and they had to take it out for one of my scans. My new ortho isn't comfortable with lingual bars and I had to beg for a lower. He doesn't want to dream of an upper.

Psalm112 said...

Thanks for replying...

I need to get your e-mail or someway to contact you...I'd love to hear what they are teaching about lowers.

And, yes, I would love to see what they think about uppers, as well...

Annie and Jeremy said...

Way to go, girl!!! You're doing a great job--I'm so proud of you!!! :)

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...