Friday, January 16, 2009

And We're Back

The first week of school has come and gone. The inevitable "boards talk" is inescapable, but the first day was the worst and it's continually fading. I'll probably get my scores next week and I'm occasionally terrifed but mostly don't think about it. Which is good.
It's been a bit strange coming back since we're in the middle of our two biggest classes, so it's kinda like we never left. We got our dentures back in removable, and I'm still working on my bridge in fixed. We actually have a rotation which is basically operative (along with actually using universal precautions and rubber dams and talking to our patient (Mr. Ty Podont) and going over med history and treatment plans with our professors). It also includes doing an entire procedure start to finish in 3 hours. I know that sounds like a long time, but that's how we start out and gradually get faster. Then you graduate and have to face the reality of 1 hr appointments...if that. We started pedodontics (that's kiddos) and I really love the way they format the class. Instead of sitting through lectures, we are in small groups that rotate through instructors where we have hands-on, face-to-face, can't hide in the corner sessions where we are accountable for information and it's amazing how much better you learn : ) We started orthodontics, too, where we bent wire for 3 hours and I pierced myself with the thin gauge at least 3 times, drawing blood. But it's a way laid back class with music piped into the sim lab and no practicals. Endo is kinda scary. Right now that's just based on rumors which the course director has tried hard to dismiss. But we all know how things really work in dental school.

I haven't read or studied for anything yet. I haven't finished organizing binders and syllabi, either.

The hardest part has been getting up in the morning. It's really super hard. I've been staying up until Erik gets home from the house because it's kinda nice to spend some amount of time with my husband each day, but I can't go to sleep at midnight every night and expect to be useful in the morning.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I have the same sleep delimma. I can't go without it, but it's so important to see my husband at some point during the day.

Balance. That's what BCD is about. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at it.

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...