Sunday, June 07, 2009

Going Back Tomorrow


It was a short two weeks. 6 weeks of school and then 4 more weeks off. Let the countdown begin!

First of all, I need to write down a few things I've been pondering so hopefully, I'll keep pondering them enough to maybe actually do something about them.


1) Been thinking about my lack of community. We really just observe at church, observe in our neighborhood and in this town. I go to school in Dallas and Erik works in Duncanville, and we just sleep here in Rockwall and go to a church service on Sunday. Last night, I thought about Zaccheus and how he tried to get away with just observing Jesus and what he was doing. He got called down out that tree super fast. Observing is not acceptable. Then Jesus went to his house with no notice - today. No time to run to the market or cook a lamb or sweep the floor - just straight up said "you don't get to just watch, in fact I'm going to be a part of what your life is really like - you don't get a chance to put on a show." Just some thinking.


2) Been thinking about my selfishness. Seriously, when I was in high school and college, I can't even name all the community service what-not I was involved in. I am so careful with my time now and so jealous of it. My time is so precious to me...but it's not mine and I tend to forget things like that. Guess that goes back to community...I'm not even very quick to give up time just to hang out with people. What is wrong with me and my reclusiveness? So not what Christianity is about.


3) Been thinking about what takes up my time. I had a bit of a FB hiatus that kicked off this thinking. It was great. I've totally revamped how I do FB and I'm still thinking about why I do it and what benefit it is. I've found that there are a good number of things that just kinda popped up in my life that are perfectly harmless, but take up my time and I never really thought through what "good" is in them. You know that passage of "whatever is good, whatever is noble...think about these things"? I found some of these time consumers (esp FB) creating issues in my life that weren't "good" for me. And none of the other things in that passage either. And even if chatting with friends seems harmless, a lot of it is mindless and useless and what place does that have in my life? I wondered, when did I just start doing things because it's something to do? When did I stop thinking about whether or not it was a "good" thing for me to do? It sure is cool though. At least I thought it was. There is so much good in simplicity. In making sure the important things are taken care of before spending 30 minutes on FB. Like studying. Or doing laundry. Or cooking a healthy dinner. Or working out. Or spending time with God. Or time with my husband. Or, heaven forbid, a new friend. 30 min in real life with a real person (possibly with coffee involved!) vs. 30 min on FB with random tidbits and maybe an encouraging word somewhere out there for good measure. Poor FB. It's not just that, there's a list of things I'm thinking about (including quilting...). I'm just glad I started thinking again.

1 comment:

Chris and Jill said...

Good thoughts, thanks for sharing. I've been convicted a lot lately too about how generous I am with my time and if I am really a good steward of it

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...