Saturday, December 19, 2009

5/8 of a Dentist

I've gotten some more operative done, scaled and root planed another patient, and prepped a PFM since last entry.  I've also gotten Nanna ready to go and Tammy's still in progress.  Unfortunately, I have a re-do alveoplasty in my future and that's just hard for everyone to put off a denture even longer.  But even if I lose this patinet due to impatience, if I complete all of Nanna's treatment, I'll pass.  That's good enough for a pass/fail situation!  I have my favorite patient coming in for a progress exam the morning we come back (eek!), but I don't want to lose him, and I'll do whatever it takes to get him here and give him "free" dentistry as long as possible.  I have a perio patient who cannot do a good enough job brushing his teeth to pass re-eval, but they're going to let me do some limited fixed and operative to help facilitate healing, so that's something.  I'm handing him a new toothbrush and asking that he brush his teeth before walking into the perio clinic next time!  The good news is that every professor that I've talked to about my requirements is comfortable with where I am and not concerned about me finishing.

Finals week this past week was insane.  I have never been this tired in all of my life.  8 finals, all but one of them cumulative.  I drank way too much coffee, got way too little sleep (avg 4 hrs), and did just fine on every one of them, hallelujah. I actually saw a pt on Tuesday afternoon to prep a crown post-root canal and despite my lack of sleep, I did a pretty darn good job and got the impression I needed to send her PFM to the lab - soooo nice to not cast the crown and do all the lab work!  At least it was early in the week!  I also saw Nanna and Tammy on Friday after the last final, but a cleaning and some impressions are nothing and it's nice to have them a step further along.  The good news?  I don't have to study for any boards over Christmas this year!  3 weeks of sleeping, bumming, sewing, and skiing!

Removable: 1.5/3 to pass (4 to get an "A")
Perio: 2/4 diagnostic workups, 8/16 quads SCRP, 0/4 re-evals to graduate
Endo: 0/2 (I have one promised for January, but I need another!)
Surgery: 32/35
Pre-prosth: 4/5 to graduate
Operative: 18/50
Fixed: 2/10 and one prepped and sent to the lab
DAU: 8/10 to graduate
Nitrous: 3/6 to graduate
All assisting is complete.

Priorities when I get back:
1) Finish progress exams in operative (will be done by Feb. if all are passed)
2) Coordinate and do my endo from Tyler, find another case
3) Finish out both perio patients, get new patient for PEs
4) Finish parital cases
5) Get moving on operative and fixed (incl fixed PEs)
6) OMS PE and last few ext (will happen on rotation)
7) Last few DAU appointments (probably with Nanna)

No comments:

Workin' 9 to 5

Well, after all of the hullabaloo of graduation, it was time to start looking for work.  I knew being obviously pregnant, it would be pret...